Random Rambles: Frozen's Quick Fix

So I already stated how I was not entirely satisfied with this movie. It's one of those movies that's perfect...but just isn't. To summarize my main points of discontent, I just said that the cliche of Kristoff as the true love was pretty bad and the idea of having Hans as the bad guy was also extremely flawed. Anyways, this movie is obviously constrained because it is a Disney movie and the bureaucrats running the show just made sure these cliches were still in place.

What I would do to make this movie "perfect" is just three steps: make Kristoff female, make Hans a misguided man instead of a "bad guy," and get rid of the trolls. My reasons for doing this is that first of all Kristoff was obviously the "true" true love from the moment we saw him. We weren't sure exactly how Hans would fit into all of this but we knew that the development of Kristoff made it so that he was going to be the one. Anyways, I think there would be a more empowering feminist tone if we just eliminated the true love idea and just settled with a brave female lead. I know we already have Elsa for that but she really doesn't do much. Kristoff always struck me as that Prince Charming character that was funny yet unnecessary for the message the film is trying to portray.

Secondly, Hans didn't need to be a bad guy. We're sick and tired of all these moral "villains" that just give kids a bad guy to point to. If we really want to subvert cliches, we could just make it so that Hans wouldn't listen to Anna's explanation and just vowed to seek revenge due to the "grief" he's in. I think the message and the morality of this film could really shine if we had Hans be a more sympathetic character. I hate the moral area of "bad guys" for this reason since they never really add anything besides misery into the plot. It's good to recognize the inherently flawed characteristics of a bad guy but it shouldn't meant that we have black-and-white morals.

Finally, the trolls were annoying. Waste of screen time. Only clued the already aware audience that Anna was going to fall in love with Kristoff. Hated their song. Didn't add anything.

This is the only thing that is keeping the film from being perfect in my view. I didn't like the final part of the story because of how cliched it was. Disney really needs to follow in Wreck-It Ralph's footsteps and make a true subversion of classic fairy tales if it wants to take the mantle that Pixar held for so long. I know that even the Pixar staff is working with Disney but the overall movie they've created just doesn't stand as strong as Up or Wall-e. It's still a good movie in the end but it's not exemplary and that's my biggest beef since it should've been perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why is Art Important?

Time Doesn't Exist

Random Rambles: The Man in the Sky